Monday, February 11, 2008

Because my day can't be summed up in a few words...

Okay, so my day's been hectic. Really hectic. I had fast food twice. In fact, I had a double cheeseburger, plain, with a diet coke for both lunch and dinner. The only difference was that one was McDonalds and the other was Wendy's.

It started when I was looking for the rest of the stuff I needed to complete my Wii before I went back to school. I went to Game Box and Best Buy, and then bought Wii points at Gamestop. That's three stores (if you're ever in Brunswick, Maine, go to Game Box for your video games. I'm pretty sure the guy who's always been at the cash register when I buy stuff there is the owner of the store, so that's the kind of personal touch it has).

I also went to Target before Gamestop because the other two stores didn't have Wii point cards. Target didn't have any, either.

So, anyway, I get home, and I have to make sure I'm packed before I head out to the Bowdoinham caucus. That means I don't get to play any of my new games, though I download a few. I'd say my library is pretty good right now. Anyway, I pack everything up before 4, and my dad drives me down (since we've got three cars, as I've mentioned before).

It's a blizzard, by the way. Not only a blizzard, but it's a huge crowd. Turns out a lot of people want to be in the caucus this year. It's that kind of year. Now, a bad sign right off the bat; just after I get into the building, so I can turn around and see what happens, the steps up to the town hall get covered in snow falling off the roof. A couple of people are nearly hit by the avalanche.

Anyway, the caucus is pretty uneventful until they get to the presidential stuff. A couple of people were crying as they stood up to talk about how Obama has moved them. I was planning to vote for Obama, but there was a pretty distinct disconnect between the type of people who stood up to say why they were voting for Obama and the people who stood up to talk about why they were voting for Clinton. Oh, and those two people who seemed like they were crying as they spoke were both grown men. One of whom was a veteran.

Meanwhile, the Clinton supporters displayed all the passion of a dead fish. Seriously, no passion at all. The only guy who stood up for her was trying desperately not to have any passion at all. That's pretty much what he said. He said that he didn't want a president who was like Bush in having the quality of "being a buddy to have a beer with," which is, I think, missing the point of the hope Obama brings.

I should probably stop, since I'm not a big political theorist, and besides, my vote counted today more than it will for the next few years. Seriously, I've got the option of voting in two elections in November (though I am only allowed to register in one of them, I can choose which one that is), but both of those states are pretty solidly blue. Which is nice, in theory, but it means that the only reason I'll be voting in November is so I feel like I've done something. I mean, if I didn't vote and a lot more people didn't vote, it could change things massively. So I vote to keep that status quo that I like.

And that sounds kind of bad if taken out of context.

Anyway, back to my story. Because there's more. Remember that blizzard? Well, right as everyone's gathered into their mobs of candidate support, the storm knocks out the power. In the entire town. To save time, energy, and to keep from having to count a huge mob of Obama supporters in the dark, the undecideds and such are asked to decide quickly, and the less-numerous Clinton supporters are counted, so the difference can be determined.

Then, in total darkness, both sides (okay, all four sides, since there were two towns having their caucus in the same building) chose their delegates. Unfortunately, there is a small detail I neglected to mention; my mom was chosen to organize the caucus. And since she was also an Obama supporter, she was a natural to start signing up delegates (the only vote we had on that was "all in favor of choosing whoever signs up so we aren't all standing around in the cold and dark for eternity." Literally). Since my brother wanted to be a delegate, and my dad tends to help out whenever he can, and I wasn't asked to do anything, I was standing around for quite a while after everyone left.

Anyway...

Okay, this is really long and I'm really tired. Maybe I'll finish the story sometime. Maybe I won't. I don't care.

It's twelve minutes into my birthday.

No comments: