Monday, April 9, 2007

People Who Need to be Slapped

So, I figure this can be one of the regular features of this blog; a running tally of people who just need to be slapped hard in the face in order to better mankind. Not so hard that they actually get hurt or anything, just enough that they realize that this person standing in front of them doesn't like them. You know, putting a face to the people that the individuals on my list screw over.

Also, I realize that there are probably about five people reading this at the moment, but I'll gladly post pictures of you slapping a person on this list, if you manage to do it and be photographed doing it. Or one of their analogues. If it's an analogue (like an actor who played the person on the list) remember to ask permission first. Like, I might put Nathan Petrelli on the list, should he start doing bad things on Heroes. Unfortunately, you're far more likely to get to slap Adrian Pasdar, the actor who plays Nathan Petrelli, and that guy's okay in my book (his wife would probably be on the opposing list to this one, the list of people who need to do some slapping, which kind of puts him in a good position with me), so, you know, ask permission. And don't get angry if they say no.

However, if you're speaking to the actual person on the list (or, if I speak of a type of person, one of the people who are part of that group), feel free to not ask permission. I'd like to see the look of surprise. Don't do anything else, though. I can't reiterate this enough, because I don't want the FBI or CIA asking why I'm advocating hurting some of the people who I know are going to be on the list. So please go with a light tap, rather than something forceful that could get you put in jail for assault.

So, anyway, to begin the list (which is numeric only in that this is the order I come up with them):

#1: Rush Limbaugh
Included for: Turning "liberal" into a pejorative.
Now, there are many reasons that Rush Limbaugh is an asshole. He's a hypocrite of the worst caliber, he believes that Europeans are somehow the native people of America, etc. The reasons he needs to rot in Hell, though, are not the reasons he needs to be slapped. No, he needs to be slapped for his contribution to the english language. I don't know if he came up with the idea of using one of the most basic words of political discourse as a base insult, but whenever I think of that use of the word liberal, I think of Limbaugh.

It's sort of like the word "gay." It's used by conservative pundits and 5-12-year-olds as an insult. It's also a word used to describe, in a manner accepted by all sides, a large segment of the population. Now, both sides usually use the word to describe the same things, so those who use it negatively say that it's not really an insult, because those who use it positively use it, well, positively. This is bullshit, though. It's the intent of the word that counts more than the word itself. Occasionally, a word may have such negative connotations that it's not healthy to use for any occasion outside of talking about the word itself (specifically, the word "nigger, which is something I may discuss more fully some other time).

So, someone please slap Rush Limbaugh for me.

No comments: