Sunday, April 15, 2007

Films I've Never Seen...

Yes, I try to go to the movies as often as possible, but I don't have any real income aside from my parents, and I don't even know where to look to rent movies while I'm at college. Plus, my parents don't tend to go rent movies while I'm back home. All this adds up to is that I don't really get to see many movies that aren't in theaters. To counter this, I've created a list in my mind of movies that I want to see, simply because I haven't seen them.

Warning: a film's inclusion on my list does not mean that I expect to enjoy the movie, just that I feel the overwhelming urge to see it.

  1. Reservoir Dogs: I know far more than I should considering that I've never seen this movie. More importantly, I think too highly of it for someone who's never seen it. I have "Stuck In the Middle with You" on my Ipod soleley because of its inclusion in this movie. For pretty much the same reason I have "Singing in the Rain," but that's a whole other entry. The point is that it's the sort of movie I need to see.
  2. Sean Connery's James Bond Films: I've only seen Goldfinger. Seriously. Hell, I could probably include the rest of the James Bond canon up until Pierce Brosnan on the list, too. But I'll stick with Sean Connery, because everyone says he's the best James Bond. It's just difficult to say how much I think Daniel Craig is an awesome Bond when all I can compare him to is Pierce Brosnan, who seems completely different in the role.
  3. The Mummy Returns: I've only seen a few bits of it on TNT, and I was forced away from the movie for some reason when it was about a half-hour from the end. I also didn't get to see the beginning, though I caught bits of the middle. I'm a horrible tv watcher, to the point where sometimes I'll flip away in a commercial break during Heroes. Seriously. Now, of course, instead of showing the movie, they show The Scorpion King constantly. This annoys me.
  4. Manos: The Hands of Fate (MST3K version): I'd very much like to go rent it, but I never get around to it. I don't know why I'm interested, I just am.
  5. The Godfather: I'm not sure I'd be completely interested in watching it all, but I'd like to see it nonetheless. It's really stupid for me to have, at one time, been proud of my impression of Marlon Brando in this film and yet have never actually seen it once.
  6. Star Trek (most of the movie spin-offs): I saw the one where Spock dies, and the one where they need to save the whales, as well as pretty much all of the Next Generation movies, but there are quite a few Star Trek movies from the original series cast that I've never seen. Like, I only saw the very beginning of the one where Spock supposedly comes back to life. And I'd really be interested in seeing the first movie.
  7. What's Eating Gilbert Grape: I believe it's been recommended to me when I acted a lot like the main character. I'm not sure what that means, but it intrigues me a bit. Also, it's Captain Jack Sparrow and the undercover cop from The Departed, at earlier points in their careers. Which means that any "chick flick" they may appear in is now imbued with a certain masculinity, even if it was made before those roles. Though this may not be a chick flick. In other words, I'd need to see it to figure it out.
  8. Brokeback Mountain: I'll admit it; yes, I did kind of avoid seeing this movie because of the gayness. I also kind of avoided seeing it because I don't particularly enjoy seeing even a well-made romance film. I also kind of avoided seeing it because I didn't want to see yet another movie on my own. It goes on my list because, in the end, I still do kind of feel I should see it.
  9. Equilibrium: There's stuff that could be interesting in this movie. I don't know, once I got past #3 on this list, I've kind of just been randomly pulling things out of my ass. This list, at one point, was much more concrete, but since I first created it, I saw Seven Samurai, Ran, Apocalypse Now, Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, Citizen Kane, etc. In short, I've seen quite a few of the movies that used to be on my list.
  10. Nausicaa: The Valley of the Wind: Honestly, I don't remember if that's the title or not. I saw a badly-subtitled version a while back, but never had time to see it through to the ending, and it was only divided up to four chapters on the dvd. So, what I'd like to see is the version that's subtitled, or even dubbed over, by English-speakers. I believe such a version exists.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Mummy Returns isn't that bad. I think I prefer the first one though.

The Godfather is okay. I wasn't too enthralled with it, and only watched it all the way through because it's on the list of movies that I need to see, lest one of my various friends inflict bodily harm upon me. It's worth watching at least once though.

I haven't seen any of the others though. Not even any of the Star Trek movies.

Anyways, I've got a few Connery Bond films and Nausicaa, if you want to borrow them at some point. I'd need to include directions on how to get the subtitles working on Nausicaa though, as the menu is in Chinese, I think.

Yeah, I got it off of eBay for five bucks and it probably wasn't obtained by the seller through legal means. The subtitles are more or less accurate though, which is impressive for what is likely a bootleg.

Otherwise, I'd suggest getting a Netflix account, if you can afford ten/fifteen bucks a month. It's a hell of a lot better than renting movies elsewhere for four bucks apiece.