Sunday, April 22, 2007

Moonlight

I don't normally have too many problems with living in the city instead of back home. It's basically the same problems in either place, except at least in the city I can walk to most of the places I'd like to go. Which is cheaper than driving. It's also easier to get shoes on my feet than to get ahold of one of my family's cars, even though at this point I believe we have one car for each of us. It's just that around half of the cars are broken down at any one time.

That's not what this is about, though.

So, yeah, what counterbalances the fact that I don't have the ability to do anything interesting at home is that, when I'm at college, the city's lights drown out the night sky. Plus, the moon doesn't seem to pass through my dorm room's view, which is otherwise superb. Instead, I get a bunch of street lights. Granted, I have a nice view that, at times, makes the street lights beautiful (like when it's snowing), but it's nothing like when I'm at home.

I live out in a rural area. We don't even really get the city lights on the horizon. On a clear night, the only light is coming from the sky. It's a perfect shade of blue, really. I like it at about midnight, when usually all lights in the house are off, and the moon is visible from my bedroom window. Then, sometimes the moon is full, and it will come through my window, and it's about as bright as the glare of the sun off of a piece of glass. And if there are no clouds out, there's a lot of starlight, and it looks like I could just walk around outside, with no real problem seeing.

The fact is, I like the night precisely because of the times when I can sit in bed and look out the window, totally awake, but in a completely dark room, and just look at the moonlight hitting the ground, and the brightness of the moon. I really wish I could show everyone what it's like, because I can't do it justice in words, and there's no way to take a picture of what amounts to the effects of having almost no light.

It's beautiful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that moonlight thing you're talking about, and it really is impossible to do it justice. I think the only way it can get better is if you're overlooking a lake at the time.

Quite frankly man, I don't get how you can stand Boston, considering where you lived previously. I suppose its admirable that you can take such a drastic change of surroundings in stride.