Friday, April 4, 2008

I wish

I wish that, every time I opened a door, there was a better-than-zero chance that it wouldn't open to the right place. Like, if I opened the door to my bedroom, there was a slim chance that the other side would not be my bedroom, but somewhere else.

And I'm not talking just on Earth, either. I'm talking some kind of multiversal mix-up, where I'd end up with a door to, say, a bathroom in some universe where cats grew to be the dominant species.

Okay, maybe not precisely that, but the idea is that I could end up in completely alien worlds just by opening the same goddamn door I've opened twenty times today. Of course, it wouldn't be huge odds. I mean, considering how many doors there are everywhere, in order to go anywhere, it'd have to be something like a 0.1% chance, but that's good enough odds for it to happen at least a couple of times a month, if you think about just how many doors one opens in a single day.

There would have to be a few caveats to this ability, mind you. For instance, the connection would have to be reset if I closed the door. Leaving open portals between universes could end up being very bad, and it would be very inconvenient for the people who want to use the door normally.

For another, there would have to be a method of getting back to one's home universe. Maybe not to the specific spot that the person first left, at least without some serious work. It shouldn't be too easy, seeing as whoever uses this ability has to go through the doorway and close it before they end up losing that initial portal. But it's still possible to do that and not know what you're doing, so it shouldn't be impossible for all but the most dedicated.

There would probably also have to be some kind of separation rule between the multiverses, so someone wouldn't be constantly meeting alternate-reality versions of themselves, and also because I wish this precisely because I don't want to end up in a reality that could be mistaken for this one. However, it obviously can't be a completely different universe where, say, no one uses doors.

Which brings me to how the doors open, because obviously, you can't have a door open on one side that has a massive size discrepancy with the door on the other side. Like, a massive city gate vs. a closet door. So when the door is opened, it has to match size and shape with the door on the other side. However, they shouldn't have to match position, because that would make it impossible to find a way home. Because you're not only matching latitude and longitude, but also altitude. Matching door size and shape is actually much better, as it's a lot easier to judge whether a particular door will lead toward or away from a particular world.

Okay, so I'm a little weird, but this has been in my head for a little while. It kind of ties in with other stuff I've been thinking about, too, which never helps when I get a weird idea. Plus, this idea is literally the best thing that's happened to me for the past few days. Kind of a cross between me being a shithead, and shit falling on me from afar.

Okay, mostly just me being a shithead. And that always makes me feel like shit.

No comments: